Wool diapers often seem complicated to handle and care for. But that's just a sham. We have created a practical guide of how take care of wool.
CARE AND WASHING
- With each diaper change, it is advisable to hang up the cover or woolmers for airing, even if there is no visible moisture on the wool.
- We wash the woolen cover or woolmers when it gets dirty, has been soaked or if, despite airing, you can smell an unpleasant odor.
- Wool covers need to be washed by hand, in warm water, in wool washing liquid, f,e. Sonnett. We put the cover in warm water with wool washing liquid. We gently knead it, making similar movements as when kneading the dough. Then rinse the woolen cover in clean water with the same temperture. Remember to rinse the detergent from the fabric very thoroughly. Washed and rinsed cover imprint from excess water in a towel. Wool should not be rubbed or twisted. Gently stretch the wet diaper so that it regains its shape. Dry flat, avoiding the harsh sun - it is best to dry in partial shaming.
If dirt appears on the swaddle, the first salvation is to rinse this place with a strong stream of water.
If this treatment did not bring the expected result, you can spray the dirty place with a soapy brush spray or apply coconut soap and leave for 15-30 minutes. Then rinse. If this treatment has failed, we can soak the diaper in warm water with wool washing liquid and turn it for 2 hours. After this time, wash according to the instructions.
Vinegaring is a treatment aimed at protecting a new wool diaper against fading and dyeing. Put the wool diaper in a solution of vinegar (a glass of vinegar for 5l of water), immerse whole and leave for 30 minutes. After this time, pull out and dry or carry out the lanolining procedure. The vinegar treatment can also be used as a purification/de-saniation method.
Lanolining is a treatment aimed at supplementing lanolin in wool fibers. This treatment is used when the swaddle is passing moisture.
- In a dish filled with 250 ml of boiling water, we dissolve a teaspoon of soap flakes or a few drops of dishwashing liquid without lotions. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Add lanolin – the tip of a teaspoon for a cover or half a flat teaspoon in the case of lanolin woolmers and mix. We should get a milky, homogeneous liquid, without any meshes of fat or sheepskin. If lanolin does not dissolve, you can add 2-3 drops of liquid and stir again.
- Pour the prepared solution into 1 liter of water at room temperature and mix again until a homogeneous solution is obtained.
- In the solution we put a woolen cover or woolmers so that they are completely covered and leave for about 5-6 hours.
- After this time, we pull out the cover or woolmers from the treatment, rinse thoroughly until the water stops foaming and imprint in a towel (do not twist, it is best to trample).
- The cover or woolmers should be gently glued. This effect is not permanent.